Wednesday, February 8, 2023

My Big Y-700 Results by William Mortensen Vaughan

Bottom Line Up Front:

None of my closest Big Y-700 matches are surnamed "Vaughan," nor any name remotely resembling "Vaughan," so I assume that I am descended from at least one adulterer.

I had FamilyTreeDNA conduct my Big Y-700 test in 2021. I also ordered an upgrade to my Y-DNA test, as well as their Family Finder and mitochondrial DNA tests, in 2020, and they had me resubmit a fresh sample of saliva, so the sample used for the Big Y test was only about a year old.

According to FamilyTreeDNA, as of February 1, 2023, I have twenty-one Big Y-700 DNA matches, none of whom are surnamed "Vaughan." Their surnames are as follows:  

  • Boyd,
  • Freeman,
  • Henson, 
  • James
  • Jones (five matches), 
  • Mattox, 
  • Mayfield, 
  • McClain (three matches), 
  • McKoy, 
  • Phillips,
  • Walter, 
  • Watkins (two matches), 
  • Wright, and 
  • Yarbrough

Of these, the one that interests me the most is James. That's because the FamilyTreeDNA Vaughan Project Website Y-DNA Classic Chart shows only one match among their members who has the same confirmed Y-DNA Haplogroup as mine, which is R-Z17300, and that match is surnamed James. Presumably, it's the same person listed among my closest Big Y-700 matches. I have also discovered that men surnamed "James" were in Fauquier County, Virginia, circa 1800, when my great-great-great grandfather, Joseph Vaughan (L6VH-346) and his wife, Eleanor O'Bannon (LKY8-NNJ), were born and/or married there.

Also of interest is my only exact Big Y-DNA match on MyTrueAncestry, which is Orm de Abernathy (ca. 1170-1260). MyTrueAncestry informs me that Haplogroup R-Z17300 is also known as the phylogenetic Haplogroup R1b1a1b1a1a2c1a. 

WikiTree indicates that Orm and I are both descended from one couple:

  Malcolm Dunkeld and Saint Margaret, King and Queen of Scots.

Ideally, I would be able to trace a strictly paternal lineage all the way back to Orm or one of his forefathers, since Y-DNA is only passed from fathers to sons (the Y chromosome is what makes us male). However, and in spite of this, it remains apparent to me that I am more closely related to the Abernathies than any other clan, and to ancient Scottish royalty more than any other royal families.

_________________________________

Commentary by William Mortensen Vaughan

No comments:

Post a Comment